Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Drag Me Down to Hell PLEASE!!


Mike and I checked out Drag Me to Hell today and I have to admit, I went in a little worried about the PG-13 rating. I haven't seen a quality PG-13 movie since The Grudge in 2004, that movie was great. But since then, I have seen too many blue children with stringy black hair covering their face making weird noises and turning up in closets and under beds to be scary any more.
I was listening to The Midnight podcast episode 134 where Cory quoted Rob Zombie as saying there is nothing original in the works out there. Studios are looking for remakes, or comic book adaptations to sell tickets. While I agree that some of these movies have worked and brought millions to the box office, great stories are waning and we are not being treated to original stories that are well written and executed. Some of our favorites were truly lightning caught in a bottle where everything worked out just right to produce awesome hits like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Evil Dead, Rosemary's Baby, and others. So my trepidation was warranted as I settled in with fingers crossed that one of my favorite directors was not going to disappoint.
Enter Alison Lohman and Justin Long and a crazy ass old lady that has a problem with keeping things in her body. It sets up with Christine Brown played by Alison Lohman working as a loan officer in a bank and looking for a promotion. An old lady comes in to discuss her foreclosure and Christine is presented with a decision from her boss to extend another line of credit to the woman or put the clamps on and cut the banks losses. She chooses the latter and brings the eyre of the old woman upon her. The old woman curses Christine with an old gypsie curse that brings on the Lamia, a goat man demon who drags souls to hell. Christine has 3 days to figure out how to appease the demon or she will be the Lamia's next victim.
The story has great throwbacks to some of Raimi's earlier works including Evil Dead, and has some of the cheeky dialogue and proclamations that just make me laugh. I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it to anyone looking for an entertaining ride through some good old fashion horror. It is not overly violent and there isn't much blood except for the kitty.
Props to Raimi for bringing us something original when we are inundated at every turn with a remake or reboot of something that worked decades ago. I hope everyone goes to see this to send a message that we want new stuff.
I give this a bonesaw with a giant smile on my face, and look forward to lots of extras to chew on in the DVD release.

No comments:

Post a Comment