Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Robert Best's Review of Sleepaway Camp


Geez... It's been too long since I've had enough time to add some posts to this site... Thanks to Robert Best for helping us out!

So, I finally saw Sleepaway Camp. And you know what? I liked it.

I can't say much, because this movie is all about the twist and the final scene. But, it's quite a twist and quite a final scene.

And here's the thing. I knew the twist going into this movie. I knew what was coming all along, and I still enjoyed it. So that would indicate that it's reasonably well made.

So, what plot can I give away? It's a slasher movie set at - are you ready? - a summer camp. There are kids and counselors. And a pedophile cook. There's also a shy girl everyone picks on, and her cousin who's always defending her. And there's a killer who's - well, you know, killing. The creepy old man who runs the camp tries to keep things quiet. Which frees up the killer to kill more. And so on.

Except for the final scene, it's all very familiar territory. But it's handled well enough. I've certainly seen much worse. It contains a surprisingly good arrow-through-a-neck effect, a surprisingly bad painted-on mustache, and surprise gay cuddling. You heard me.

Worth seeing, especially if you're a fan of 80's slashers. And it also contains one of the most infamous twists in slasher history.

Again, it's all about that twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment